Do you want to learn how to connect a MacBook to a monitor? You’re in the right place. Mackbook is one of such laptops that has made our life a lot easier than it was with other laptops.
It gives an incredible battery life and exceptional color quality. However, sometimes, it’s just not enough.
You want more than that. When you need to watch any movie with your family, or you’re someone who has to work on more than one monitor at the same time, then doing it on a MacBook is not so fun as the screen is quite small.
Therefore, it’s crucial to connect a MacBook to your monitor so that you can enjoy an incredible viewing experience. So, how can you connect your Macbook to another display? This is why I’ve coupled up some of the easiest steps to help you to use your MacBook with a monitor.
Ensure to be with me till the end so you don’t end up doing something wrong.
Without talking more, let’s head over to the topic.
1) Find Out Which MacBook you’re Using
A long time back, it was quite simple to connect a monitor to a MacBook, But, Apple has reliably been making changes to the ports given with your MacBook which has made it tough.
Because you are using a macbook that doesn’t even support an extra display. So, it’s crucial for you to know which MacBook you’re using. But how will you check it? It’s easy, just follow the below-mentioned steps to do that.
- Make your way to the menu bar in your MacBook> About this Mac.
- There will be an icon for a serial number, double-tap on it, and duplicate it from that point. You can do it by choosing it or squeezing the order C to duplicate the serial number.
- And then, head over to your browsers and search for Apple’s Tech Specs page,
- There will be an option called “Search Tech Specs”, click on it and paste the serial number that you had copied.
- After that, select the search option and click on the specifications for your MacBook. You’ll be diverted to a page where all of the insights regarding the model of your MacBook will be mentioned.
That’s how you can find out with ease what MacBook Pro you’re utilising. Presently, as you probably are aware of what PC you’re utilising, now is the ideal time to pick the right cable to interface an outside screen to your MacBook.
Select the Right Cable
Selecting the right cable for connecting your Macbook to your monitor is cardinal. MacBook models like MacBook Pro 14 and MacBook Pro 16 have an HDMI port, four thunderclaps, and 2 cables, which you can undoubtedly use to connect with another monitor.
In any case, if you’re not utilising any of these MacBooks then you might need to get your eyes on a connector or another cable that will assist you to connect an outside screen to the MacBook.
However, if youré utilising an M1 MacBook Pro 13 that doesn’t have an HDMI port, then you don’t have to stress as it typically has either a thunderclaps 3 or a USB C port that can be utilised to connect only one monitor.
It’s unlikely that you’re using an old model MacBook, you must be using the latest MacBook model that comes with an HDMI port. So, don’t worry.
And the second thing that you need to have is a USB C port on your screen which assists it with getting associated with your Macbook. if you would rather not spend your cash purchasing another screen, then you can utilise an external Adapter or a docking device as well.
Above all, Ensure you pick a cable that is adequately lengthy to go from the back of the show to your port on the Mac.
The Method to Connect Your MacBook To Your Monitor
It’s time to learn how you can connect your MacBook to your monitor. it’s not so difficult if you pay attention to the steps mentioned below. But, ensure that you’ve completed the above-mentioned steps first, so you can go along with me.
Follow the below-mentioned steps carefully.
- Firstly, plug your monitor into the power switch and turn it on.
- Then, connect your external display to your MacBook. Make sure the MacBook is turned off while you’re connecting the display to it.
- Once the display got connected, turn on the MacBook now.
- Then make sure whether your cables are connected properly or not, and also if your software is updated.
- When all of the above-mentioned things are done, go to the System Preferences and afterward click on Displays.
- Now, to bring the Detect display option, press the Alt/Option key and the option will display on your screen, so click on it.
- And boom, your second monitor will not have been displayed on your MacBook.
And there you go, now you’ve connected your MacBook to a monitor successfully. But, you’re not done yet, there is another important thing that you have to do.
Now, you have to configure your displays, which display will be your main display and which one will be the second one. Let’s do that quickly.
Configure The Monitor to Your Macbook
Follow the below-mentioned steps to configure the display with ease.
- First of all, open your MacBook pro and head over to the System Preferences and then Display.
- Then hit the Arrangement tab.
- Try not to choose the mirror displays option as It shows a similar display to both of the screens. In any case, if you want to mirror your screens, then you can leave it checked to show the same screen.
- Now, adjust the adjustment of the display according to your requirement by dragging.
- A white bar will appear on your screen, so drag this white bar to the screen that you want to be your main screen. Also, you adjust the screen resolution and other important display settings.
I hope now you know how to connect MacBook to your monitor. If you have any queries, put them down and I’ll answer you.